Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Could it be? A functioning tummy??

As many of you may know, I was under the impression I was getting my g tube switched for a g-j tube yesterday (Monday). A phone call from Edana the day of informing me it was just a clinic visit with the surgeon kind of left me baffled. All this time (over a month!) I had been planning on this nissen and tube replacement surgery only to be told it's just a clinic visit. Wonderful. I had left a message for Edana on the office phone about starting some IV meds because I'm short of breath and my chest is getting ridiculously tight all the time. Definitely time for a clean out. Since I didn't have surgery, she reserved a bed anyway to start me up on IV's and then send me home. This is all BEFORE my clinic visit. Yes, I fell apart upon hearing I'd be admitted even though I wasn't getting the procedure done. I was most certainly in a foul mood on the ride to Duke. The visit with Dr. Perez was fairly quick, although the new information he gave us was very unexpected. With transplant, I will require a nissen (wrapping of stomach around esophagus to reduce reflux). Since they're replacing my g tube with the correct one so I can start doing nightly feeds again to gain weight, Dr. Perez thinks it will be better to just go ahead with the nissen now. When I get my new lungies, the chance of reflux will be even less since I will already have the nissen done. Dr. Perez also mentioned cutting my pylorus to allow liquids and solids to fall into my intestine. There's no point really in getting the nissen done if my stomach won't move my food into my intestine. Obviously, if I become too full, things will reflux and I'll aspirate. So the decision has been made to do all 3 surgeries at once. Nissen, pyloroplasty, and g-j tube. Big day, right? Supposedly (I use this term because the lines of communication are constantly getting crossed in here) I'm doing my final test tomorrow (solid gastric emptying) to reconfirm that my stomach empties hella slow. Docs love to schedule time consuming and painful tests unnecessarily it seems. I mean, it's practically set in stone that I'm for sure having all 3 done at the same time. Whatev. Gives them something to do. Another test to analyze.

Let's move on to something other than hospitals and cf, shall we? My outstanding fiance has posted 5 (so far) incredibly sweet things on my facebook wall. I am going to copy and paste them in order one at a time on my blog. If you don't know him, he's just marvelous. He does whatev it takes to make me crack a smile. Never have a known a man to love so openly, willingly, unconditionally as he. I'm so blessed to have this man that constantly makes an ass of himself just to get my lips to form a smile. I don't deserve him. I wish I felt half as good as he is. Why he chose and continues to choose me, I'm not sure. I love him with all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment